Many small business owners attempt to create their own website. And why not? After all, you’ve built your own business from the ground up; how hard can it be to design a website? You’ve written your own ads and brochures so you should be able to write engaging content for your new website. Additionally, there are many ways to build a site by yourself making it fairly easy to construct your own site.
The bad news, though, is that if you don’t understand how to draw visitors to your website and convert them into customers, then you are just wasting your time. At John Potter Media, we understand how to make a powerful online statement so you can get found by online searches potential customers perform. Whether you design your own site or use a company, make sure your site uses these 5 important tips:
- Talk to your clientele. You know your customer best so make sure your website speaks to them. Consider the types of customers you get or want and use phrasing and words that entice potential customers to do business with you.
- Put yourselves in the shoes of your customers. What are they thinking when they perform a web search? Are they looking for your hours of operations, the types of service you provide, a food menu, directions? What caused them to search in the first place? If you sell services, are they first looking for a DIY site? Answer these questions in your content in a clear manner that tells potential clients you understand their needs.
- Keep it short and sweet. Use the home page to provide information, but don’t be wordy. More than likely, your next customer is using their phone to find you. They don’t want to scroll through a lot of words to find what they are looking for. Save that content for other pages on your site. You need to draw them in and give them information up front so they don’t have to hunt for what they are looking for.
- Follow the Needs/Benefits model. Sell your customer on how your solutions or products benefit them. Consider their needs and write content that shows them that your business will help them achieve their goals.
- Get found. Make sure you encourage your customers to reach you with a clear message or call to action. They need to know how to email you, phone you, locate you, etc. The purpose of a website is to increase your revenue by growing your business, make sure you make it as easy as possible for your customers to get in touch.
If you can incorporate these 5 tips into your website, then you’re well on your way to a great online marketing plan. If you need a little help, then give us a call at John Potter Media. Let us help you get found with smart content and a solid SEO plan. Call us at 781-246-0210 to schedule your appointment to improve your website. Learn more about our solutions by visiting our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/johnpottermedia.