When you own your own business, you need a marketing plan to get found online. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the base on which your entire online marketing plan sits. Understanding how SEO works is the first step to improving your website so you can be found locally.
Here are 5 facts you need to know regarding SEO:
- There is On-Page SEO and Off-page SEO. On-Page SEO is the content and information on your own website that customers are searching for. Keywords, services, and content needs to be engaging and fresh. Off-Page SEO is the work you do behind the scenes to draw in visitors and optimize your search engine ranks. Backlinks, blog updates, review postings, and directory registration drives visitors to your site and results in higher page rank.
- Search Engine Optimization is getting search engines like Bing, Google, and Yahoo to recognize your website. If the search engines don’t know to look for you, then you won’t come up in their search results.
- SEO can be maximized with effective links from directories, review websites, social media, and reputable sites.
- SEO is not just about keywords. In the past, keywords were a huge part of SEO. Now, while still important, they need to be relevant and useful. The search engines are smart when it comes to recognizing worthless information. Keywords, content that is original, and UI/UX all need to be used to improve your SEO.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) can improve your SEO. SEM is paid advertising that places your product at the top page of the search engine. Just remember to keep your organic SEO fresh at the same time. Some consumers refrain from clicking on ads so you need to make sure your SEO and SEM work together and not against each other. In other words, use SEO to show up on page 1 of the search engines. When you pay for an ad on page 1, consumers will see it, and then look down the page to try to find you without having to click on the ad.
Hopefully, this is a good base to better understand what Search Engine Optimization is and how it works. If you are ready to improve your SEO, give us a call. At John Potter Media, we understand the importance of getting found. We create SEO rich content and a customized online marketing plan that is unique to your business. With the right plan, your website will draw visitors in with engaging content, correct information, and a marketing strategy.
Call us today at 781-246-0210 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our solutions and services to help you increase your website visitors and to grow your business. Visit us on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/johnpottermedia to learn more about making a powerful statement online.